Kala Art Institute offers several call-for-entries opportunities throughout a year.
The Civic Center Art Exhibition is the City of Berkeley's opportunity to celebrate the richness of artistic production within its community. The annual exhibition is produced through a collaborative effort by Berkeley Art Center, Kala Art Institute, the Civic Arts Commission and Civic Arts Coordinator. The works of approximately 30 artists will be selected by a jury for exhibition in the Berkeley Martin Luther King Civic Center Building at 2180 Milvia Street. The work will be distributed throughout publicly accessible areas on six floors. Selected artworks will be displayed for approximately one year, through the middle of 2016.
All selected artists will receive a $150 honorarium.
Media: All 2-D media and 3-D media in compliance with size, presentation and weight restrictions.
Open to all artists living and/or working in the City of Berkeley. THERE IS NO ENTRY FEE TO PARTICIPATE!
Monday, August 10, 2015 by 8:00 pm. Entries must be uploaded to Slideroom.
How to Submit:
Submit entries via Slideroom at https://berkeleyart.slideroom.com/. You may submit up to 5 images. For best quality viewing please submit images in the highest resolution possible (150-300 ppi), up to 5mb and in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
Specifications and Limitations:
- All work must be created within the last 5 years
- Artist must be living or working within the Berkeley city limits at time of entry to be considered
- Accepted 2-D work must be professionally framed (if applicable) and ready to hang. Colored mats are discouraged. Artists must provide own pedestal and vitrine for accepted 3-D work, if applicable.
- 3-D work that is wall-mounted must be light-to-medium weight
- Minimum size of work is 8” if the works are in a series. Most spaces will accommodate work approximately 22” x 30”. Maximum size of wall space is 8’ x 10’. Free-standing sculpture must be no larger than 24” x 24” x 60.”
- The work selected will be appropriate to a public space and a diverse audience. The work should be of the highest quality and reflect the aesthetic and cultural values of our unique community.
- Only 5 images per artist may be submitted, including collaborative works
- Work submitted must be available to be on loan for the entire year
When you apply to this Call for Artists you agree to allow the City of Berkeley to use the images and information submitted with this application for their review process, and also to promote the project, which may include use of the submitted images throughout the City of Berkeley, on the City of Berkeley website or on printed materials. You also agree that the work submitted is your own and does not infringe anyone’s copyright or ownership.
All information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract. The provisions of the Call for Artists are subject to change. The Civic Arts Commission reserves the right to reject any entry submitted to this Call for Artists.
An honorarium of $150 will be awarded to each artist selected for the exhibition.
Civic Arts Commission Guidelines
Artwork is selected on its aesthetic merits. Art will be chosen with appropriate regard for the nature of the space and the audience. This gallery addresses the viewer directly on the public right of way. Art must exhibit consideration for viewers’ sensitivities to violence, sexual expression and negative portrayals of diverse populations.
All applications submitted by the deadline will be reviewed for completeness, and screened by an open-peer Selection Panel. The Selection Panel may include arts professionals appointed by staff, Civic Arts Commissioners, and city staff.
Contact Information for inquires and/or mail:
The Civic Arts Program and Civic Arts Commission of the City of Berkeley contracted with the Berkeley Art Center and Kala Art Institute, two Berkeley-based community non-profit arts organizations, to assist with this process: www.berkeleyartcenter.org and www.kala.org. Questions can be directed to Aimee Le Duc, Executive Director or Ann Trinca, Programs Manager at Berkeley Art Center, email@example.com
510.644.6893, or Mary Ann Merker, Civic Arts Coordinator, 510 981-7533, firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a public art project of the City of Berkeley Civic Arts Commission.
Entries due: Monday, August 10, 2015
Notification: by Friday, August 21, 2015
Delivery of Accepted Artwork: Monday, August 31, 9 am – 2 pm and Tuesday, September 1, 11 am – 5 pm, Redwood Room 6th Floor
Opening Reception: Early Fall (exact dates TBD)
Duration of Exhibition: September 2015 – May 2016 (exact dates TBD)