Horizons of the Metaverse for Teens (ONLINE)
Horizons of the Metaverse for Teens*
In this course students will alternate between working in virtual and non-virtual spaces, using knowledge and concepts from drawing, sculpture and performance art. Students will learn the basics of drawing in a VR space and reflect on the aesthetic, philosophical and social implications of such a practice. The course culminates with the creation of a social VR space (in Mozilla Hubs) by each student and gathering together in a critical Show & Tell, blending their productions and explorations in the virtual and embodied activities throughout the class.
No prior VR experience needed. Classes run with minimum 6, maximum 12 students. Recommended for teens ages 13+.
Dates: May 3, 10, 17, 24
Mondays, 4-6:00 pm:
Required Materials & Equipment:
– Bring 5 to 8 Images that each student wants to work with (PNG format)
– Bring 3 questions you are exploring in your current practice
– Bring a dedicated class notebook
– Computer or laptop (with a mouse)
– Mozilla Firefox for Mozilla Hubs
– Zoom access
Optional Course Materials (according to student’s interest):
– VR Headset
– Access to basic video editing tool that the student feels comfortable using (anything from iMovie, to browser based options like WeVideo, or softwares like After Effects)
*These classes are the teenage version of ‘Horizons of the Metaverse’ course that Judit developed and co-teaches together with Beatriz Escobar in the Public Education Program of San Francisco Art Institute.
- Tuition: $150
- Location: Online
- Instructor: Judit Navratil + Lia Sutton
- 4 Classes
- May 3, 2021 — May 24, 2021
- 4:00 PM — 6:00 PM PDT
- No material fees