Learn More- After School Programs
Classes & Instructors
Fall Session 2022
After School Studio- 2:45-5:30pm
Tuesdays: Sept 6- Dec 13
Thursdays: Sept 8- Dec 15 (Open Enrollment)
Arts Enrichment- 2:15pm-5:00pm
Wednesday: Sept 14- Dec 7, 2022 (Open Enrollment)
Spring Session 2023
After School Studio- 2:45-5:30pm
Tuesdays: Jan 3- May 23 (20 weeks)
Thursdays: Jan 5- May 25 (20 weeks)
Arts Enrichment- 2:15pm-5:00pm
Wednesday: Jan 11- May 17 (18 session)
Classes are small (14-16) and allows for group and individual interactions between students and instructors. Our experienced educators bring unique teaching and learning experiences that students will love as they learn, create, and share together!
Sample Daily Schedule
As participants arrive they may choose to read a book, play a game, or enjoy a snack. Once inside the studio, participants dive deep into a guided art project with Kala’s teaching artists for the first half of the day, take a snack break, and then engage in creative activities during open studio time. A healthy snack during the class is safely provided. A typical day may look like:
After School Studio Tuesdays/Thursdays
- 2:45pm Participants arrive, art activity, prep and setup
3:00pm Guided lessons/Studio time
4:15pm Snack time, storytelling/games
4:30pm Studio time/ free choice options, clean up
5:00pm Participants start to wrap up
5:15pm-5:30pm Clean up and depart
Arts Enrichment Wednesdays
- 2:15pm Participants arrive, art activity, prep and setup
2:30pm Guided Lessons/Studio time
3:45pm Snack time, storytelling/games
4:00pm Guided Lessons/Studio time
4:30-5pm Participants wrap up, clean up, and depart
Break Dates (Berkeley Unified School District BUSD Calendar)
November 21- 25: Fall Break
December 19- 30: Winter Recess
April 3-7: Spring Recess
Program Expectations & Notes
• Program Expectations: We’ll be sharing work, ideas, techniques, and thoughts together, cultivating a culture of respect, collaboration, and creativity.
• Participants engage with others, and participate in program activities and projects.
• Tuition fees are a flat rate regardless of participant arrival/departure.
• Workshop content and teaching staff may be subject to change.
• Kala will provide a healthy snack. Please make note of any food allergies.
• Participants will have their own personal art supplies in caddys to use during the program.
• Please review the registration waivers and program agreements along with the Safety Guidelines & COVID-19 Protocols for youth programs. All participants must be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) at the time of enrollment. Masks are required at all times while indoors at Kala.
• Please be prompt for drop off and pickup. If you’re running behind or early, please contact us. Parents will be fined $1/minute for late arrival.
(Updated: 9/07/22) Families are responsible for arranging transportation for their children. Currently, the BUSD Transportation Department is NOT accepting bus transportation requests to non-BUSD after school programs.
Bus requests that were accepted by BUSD for students from BAM, Cragmont, Oxford, or Washington elementary schools, your child will be met by a Kala staff member at the bus stop on San Pablo Ave & Grayson Street and walked to our site.
BUSD does not guarantee bus transportation. In general, if Kala receives a request, we submit it for approval to BUSD. When seats become available, BUSD notifies Kala and we inform parents of the date and time their child will be dropped off. Please email email@example.com for any inquiries about bus transportation to Kala. Do not contact BUSD Transportation about waiting lists, bus service, etc. as they will refer you back to Kala.
Families interested in transportation alternatives and connecting to families please follow this link: Kala After School Program- Transportation Survey/Info .
Please Note: All participants must have completed kindergarten before the start of any after school program. If your child is an individual with a disability and requires an accommodation to participate in a Kala program, service or activity, please contact Gisela Insuaste at 510.841.7000 x203 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrollment Options During the Academic Year
Enroll for fall and/or spring seasons. We do not offer programming during school holidays, no-school days, etc. In general, we follow the Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) calendar. Kala offers rolling mid-session enrollment, when space is available, and prorate tuition based on the actual number of remaining days in the program.
Multi-child / Multi-session Discount
Enroll 2 kids, 2 or 3 days per week and save 10%.
Your total tuition will be based on the actual number of days in the BUSD calendar on the day of your program. If you select the payment plan option, 10% of the tuition (based on selected sessions) is due at the time of enrollment, then the balance will be divided into equal monthly payments, regardless of the number of classes in that specific month. Payments are automatically debited on the first day of the month. Tuition fees are a flat rate regardless of participant arrival/departure.
• For example, if you enroll in one day per week for the Fall Session (Tuesday) the cost is $50/session for 14 weeks, a total of $700 for the school year. When you select the payment plan option, $70 will be due at checkout. Then you will be automatically charged $157.50 per month (4x) for the duration of the Fall Session.
• If you enroll in the program two days per week in the Fall Session (Tuesday and Thursday), the daily rate is reduced to $45/session ($45x 2 days per week x 14 weeks), a total of $1260 for the school year. The payment plan option is $126 deposit and $283.50 per month for the duration of the Fall Session.
• New this year is a 5.25% registration processing fee per order.
We are committed to including all families in our youth and family programs. Please contact us to inquire about tuition assistance at email@example.com or 510-841-7000 x203 or apply below.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Please note that registrations are for the season and/or academic year; we do allow mid-season withdrawals per our youth arts cancellation and withdrawal policy. Kala reserves the right to cancel any class due to low enrollment or other circumstances.
COVID-19 Update: If the in-person class is canceled for a prolonged period of time due to state, county or school health order mandates, or campus incident, families will receive a prorated credit based on the number of days canceled. Kala reserves the right to convert an in person class into a virtual interactive learning experience and adjust program times/dates/fees accordingly; parents can decide to receive a class credit or withdraw from the enrolled program (per our youth arts cancellation and withdrawal policy).
Location: Classes take place in Kala’s Community Classroom or Gallery: 2990 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley CA , 94702 (front entrance on San Pablo Ave). Directions can be found on our website here.
For more program information please contact: Kala Youth Arts Education Program- Tel: 510.841.7000 x203 • E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org