Learn More- After School Program Info
Fall Session 2023
After School Studio- 2:45-5:30 pm
Tuesdays: Sept 5- Dec 19
Thursdays: Sept 7- Dec 21
Classes are small (14-16) and allow for group and individual interactions between students and instructors. Our experienced educators bring unique teaching and learning experiences that students will love as they learn, create, and share together!
Sample Daily Schedule
As participants arrive they may choose to read a book, play a game, or enjoy a snack. Once inside the studio, participants dive into a guided art project with Kala’s teaching artists for the first half of the day, take a snack break, and then engage in creative activities during open studio time. A healthy snack during the class is safely provided. A typical day may look like this:
2:45pm Participants arrive; Open Studio time
3:45pm Snack Time, Outdoor play/Games (20 min)
4:15pm Guided Lesson (45 min)
5:00-5:10pm Clean up/re-organize
5:10-5:30pm Open Studio/Continue project, Clean up and Depart
Break Dates (Berkeley Unified School District Calendar)
November 20- 24: Fall Break
December 25- Jan 5: Winter Recess
April 1-5: Spring Recess
Program Expectations & Notes
• We’ll be sharing work, ideas, techniques, and thoughts together, cultivating a culture of respect, collaboration, and creativity.
• Participants engage with others, agree to community guidelines, and participate in program activities and projects.
• Families and participants must review, sign off, and submit the registration waivers and program agreements.
• Families must sign in/out their child during drop-off and at pick-up times. With signed permission (waiver found in registration) from a parent or guardian, older students/teens may sign themselves in and out.
• Kala will provide breaks and a healthy snack. Please make note of any food allergies.
• Kala will provide all art supplies unless noted. Please do not bring any unnecessary personal items or supplies.
• Program tuition fees are a flat rate regardless of participant arrival/departure.
• Workshop content and teaching staff may be subject to change.
• All participants must be fully vaccinated at the time of enrollment. Masking is recommended at Kala San Pablo though no longer required. Please read our Safety & Health Guidelines for more information before enrolling.
• Please be prompt for drop off and pickup. If you’re running behind or early, contact us. Parents will be fined $1/minute for late arrival.
(Updated: 08/22/23) Families are responsible for arranging transportation for their children. BUSD Transportation Department offers limited bus transportation to Kala from BAM, Cragmont, Oxford, and Washington elementary schools. There are no buses available for students attending other schools. If your child takes the bus, they will be met by a Kala staff member at the BUSD bus stop on San Pablo Ave & Grayson Street and walked to our site. To request bus transportation for your child, email email@example.com at least 2 weeks and include your child’s full name, grade, school, and phone number. Please Note: Submitting a bus request does NOT guarantee that your child will be able to take the bus– the request must be approved by BUSD . Kala will provide families with any updates.
Families interested in transportation alternatives and connecting to families please follow this link: Kala After School Program- Transportation Survey/Info .
Please Note: All participants must have completed kindergarten before the start of any after school program. If your child is an individual with a disability and requires an accommodation to participate in a Kala program, service or activity, please contact Kala before enrolling in one of our programs. Please contact Gisela Insuaste at 510.841.7000 x203 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrollment Options During the Academic Year
Enroll for fall and/or spring seasons. In general, we follow the Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) calendar. Kala offers rolling mid-session enrollment, when space is available, and prorate tuition based on the actual number of remaining days in the program.
Multi-child / Multi-session Discount
Enroll 2 kids, 2 or 3 days per week and save 10%.
Your total tuition will be based on the actual number of days in the program calendar (BUSD calendar) on the day of your program. If you select the payment plan option, 10% of the tuition (based on selected sessions) is due at the time of enrollment, then the balance will be divided into equal monthly payments, regardless of the number of classes in that specific month. Payments are automatically debited on the first day of the month. Tuition fee is a flat rate regardless of participant arrival/departure.
• For example, if you enroll in one day per week for the Fall Session (Tuesday) the cost is $52.50/session for 15 weeks, a total of $788 for the school year. When you select the payment plan option, $78.80 will be due at checkout. Then you will be automatically charged $177.30 per month (4x) for the duration of the Fall Session.
• If you enroll in the program two days per week in the Fall Session (Tuesday and Thursday), the daily rate is reduced by 10% to $47.25/session ($47.25x 2 days per week x 15 weeks), a total of $1417.50 for the school year. The payment plan option is $141.75 deposit and $318.94 per month for the duration of the Fall Session.
• New this year is a 5.46% registration processing fee per order.
We are committed to including all families in our youth and family programs. Please contact us to inquire about tuition assistance at email@example.com or 510-841-7000 x203 or apply below.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Registrations are for the season and/or academic year. Please visit our youth arts refund and cancellation policy for more information. Kala reserves the right to cancel any class due to low enrollment or other circumstances. Please note: Credits need to be used by September 2024. Contact specific programs for cancellation updates, payment plans, and any COVID-19 related updates.
COVID-19 Update: If the in-person class is canceled for a prolonged period of time due to state, county or school health order mandates, or campus incident, families will receive a prorated credit based on the number of days canceled. Kala reserves the right to convert an in person class into a virtual interactive learning experience and adjust program times/dates/fees accordingly; parents can decide to receive a class credit or withdraw from the enrolled program (per our youth arts refund and cancellation policy).
Location: Classes take place in Kala’s Community Classroom or Gallery: 2990 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley CA , 94702 (front entrance on San Pablo Ave). Directions can be found on our website here.
For more program information please contact: Kala Youth Arts Education Program- Tel: 510.841.7000 x203 • E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org