Learn More- After School Programs
Classes & Instructors
Tuesdays: Aug 31- Dec 14, 2021 (15 weeks)
Thursdays: Sept 2- Dec 16, 2021 (14 weeks)
Fridays: Oct 8- Dec 17, 2021 (10 weeks)
Tuesdays: Jan 4- May 31, 2022 (21 weeks)
Thursdays: Jan 6- June 2, 2022 (21 weeks)
Classes are small (12-14) and allows for group and individual interactions between students and instructors. Our experienced educators bring unique teaching and learning experiences that students will love as they learn, create, and share together!
Sample Daily Schedule
As participants arrive they may choose to read a book, play a game, or enjoy a snack. Once inside the studio, participants dive deep into a guided art project with Kala’s teaching artists or choose self-guided art activities. A healthy snack during the class is safely provided. A typical day may look like:
After School Studio Tuesdays/Thursdays
- 2:30pm Participants arrive, art activity, prep and setup
- 3:00pm Studio time (guided lessons, free choice options)
- 4:15pm Snack time, storytelling/games
- 4:25pm Studio time (guided lessons, free choice options), clean up
- 5:25- 5:30pm Participants depart, wrap up
After School Arts Enrichment- Fridays
- 3:00pm Participants arrive, prep and setup, art activities
- 3:30pm Studio time (guided lessons, free choice options)
- 4:15pm Snack time, storytelling/games
- 4:30pm Studio time (guided lessons, free choice options), clean up
- 5:45- 6pm Participants depart, wrap up.
Break Dates (Berkeley Unified School District BUSD Calendar)
November 22- 26: Thanksgiving Holiday Break
December 20- 31: Winter Recess Break
April 4-8: Spring Recess Break
*Oct 29th Kala after school arts enrichment open
• Program Expectations: We’ll be sharing work, ideas, techniques, and thoughts together, cultivating a culture of respect, collaboration, and creativity.
• Workshop content and teaching staff may be subject to change.
• Kala will provide a healthy snack. Please make note of any food allergies.
• Participants will have their own personal art supplies to use during camp; art supplies will not be shared.
• Please review the registration waivers and program agreements along with the Safety Guidelines & COVID-19 Protocols for youth programs.
• Please be prompt for drop off and pickup. If you’re running behind or early, please contact us.
(Updated: 8/6/21) Families are responsible for arranging transportation for their children. Currently, the BUSD Transportation Department is offering limited transportation to Kala from BAM, Cragmont, Oxford, and Washington elementary schools. There are no buses available for students attending other schools. If your child takes the bus, they will be met by a Kala staff member at the BUSD bus stop on San Pablo Ave & Grayson Street and walked to our site. To request your child be added to the be added to the bus transportation request form, email email@example.com.
Families interested in transportation alternatives, please follow this link:Kala After School Program-Transportation Survey/Info.
Please Note: All participants must have completed TK or be in kindergarten before the start of the after school studio program. If your child is an individual with a disability and requires an accommodation to participate in a Kala program, service or activity, please contact Gisela Insuaste at 510.841.7000 x203 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrollment Options During the Academic Year
Enroll for fall and/or spring seasons. We do not offer programming during school holidays, no-school days, etc. In general, we follow the Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) calendar. Kala offers rolling mid-session enrollment, when space is available, and prorate tuition based on the actual number of remaining days in the program.
Multi-child / Multi-session Discount
Enroll 2 kids, 2 days per week or 2 sessions during the year and save 10%
Your total tuition will be based on the actual number of days in the BUSD calendar on the day of your program. If you select the payment plan option, 10% of the tuition (based on selected sessions) is due at the time of enrollment, then the balance will be divided into equal monthly payments, regardless of the number of classes in that specific month. Payments are automatically debited on the first day of the month.
• For example, if you enroll in one day per week for the Fall Session (Tuesday) the cost is $51/session for 15 weeks, a total of $765 for the school year. When you select the payment plan option, $171 will be due at checkout. Then you will be automatically charged $172.13 per month (4x) for the duration of the Fall Session.
• If you enroll in the program two days per week in the Fall Session (Tuesday and Thursday), the daily rate is reduced to $45.90/session ($45.90 x 2 days per week x 14.5 weeks), a total of $1331.10 for the school year. The payment plan option is $133.11($64.26 + $68.85) deposit and $299.50 ($144.59 + $154.91) per month for the duration of the Fall Session.
We are committed to including all families in our youth and family programs. Pleae contact us to inquire about tuition assistance at email@example.com or 510-841-7000 x203 or apply below.
Cancellation & Withdrawal Policy
Please note that registrations are for the season and/or academic year; we do allow mid-season withdrawals per our youth arts cancellation and withdrawal policy. Kala reserves the right to cancel any class due to low enrollment or other circumstances.
COVID-19 Update: If the in person class is canceled due to state, county or school health order mandates, or campus incident, families will receive a prorated credit based on the number of days canceled. Kala reserves the right to convert an in person class into a virtual interactive learning experience and adjust program times/dates/fees accordingly; parents can decide to receive a class credit or withdraw from the enrolled program (per our youth arts cancellation and withdrawal policy).
Location: Classes take place in Kala’s Community Classroom or Gallery: 2990 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley CA , 94702 (front entrance on San Pablo Ave). Directions can be found on our website here.
For more program information please contact: Kala Youth Arts Education Program- Tel: 510.841.7000 x203 • E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org