Your Time At Camp Kala
More about Camp Kala Summer Youth Arts Program
Lunch and Snacks
Please plan to bring your own lunch daily. Middle and High School students may take a short walk over to the Berkeley Bowl Market, which has a wide selection of prepared foods. We ask that each family bring extra snacks to share one day during the week. A snack-share schedule will be circulated before the start of camp. Snack breaks happen in the morning and afternoon according to the needs of the class.
Outdoor Play Time
Elementary students eat and play outside during supervised lunch and break times (weather permitting). Most days we walk to nearby San Pablo Park for outdoor group games and free play. There are plenty of books and indoor activities available during studio breaks throughout the day.
Friday Afternoon Exhibitions
Join us at the end of each week for a gallery reception in the Kala Community Classroom. Families and friends are invited to enjoy an exhibition of student artwork. If you would like to bring a potluck item at this time, it would be most welcome.
Daily Schedule for Elementary School
8:45 – 9:00 Student Drop Off
9:15 – 12:00 Morning studio session
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch and outdoor recreation time
1:00 – 2:30 Afternoon studio session
2:30 – 3:00 Friday Exhibition
2:45 – 3:00 Student Pick-up
Daily Schedule for Middle & High School
9:45 – 10:00 Student Drop Off
10:00 – 12:45 Morning Studio Session
12:45 – 1:15 Lunch Break
1:15 – 4:00 Afternoon Studio Session
3:30 – 4:00 Friday Exhibition
3:45 – 4:00 Student Pick-up
Extended care for Elementary and Middle & High School participants
We offer extended care with Camp Kala staff from 3:00-5:00 pm (Monday-Friday) for campers ages 5-10. Kids will play, read books and make art in a fun, self-directed, small group context. The cost is $100/week flat fee. Please Note: $80 week flat fee for June 29- July 2 (Monday-Thursday).
For older campers ages 11-17, we also offer extended care Monday-Friday from 9:00-10:00 am and/or 4:00-5:00 pm . The cost is $50/week flat fee for either the morning or afternoon hours, or $100/week flat fee to sign up for both. Please Note: $40/week for each morning or afternoon extended care hours during June 29- July 2 (Monday-Thursday), or $80/week flat fee for both.
Extended care is available as an option at checkout. We do not pro rate for missed days or early pick ups.
• All artists must complete kindergarten or TK before the start of Camp Kala.
• Plan to pack lunch daily for your student (Middle and High Schoolers may walk to nearby Berkeley Bowl West).
• We will set up a rotating snack share schedule before the start of camp.
• Classes take place in Kala’s Community Classroom: 2990 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley CA 94702. Tel. 510.841.7000.
• Workshop content and teaching staff may be subject to change.
• Weekly tuition includes all materials.
Discounts & Tuition Assistance
• Early Enrollment Discount: Enroll before March 31 and save.
• Multi-week/sibling Discount: Enroll one student in two or more weeks and save 10% off the total tuition. Siblings may be enroll in the same or different weeks.
• Kala Members at the Artist/Student level and above save 10%. Become a member today!
• Some discounts may not be combined.
• Kala provides limited tuition assistance for Camp Kala students in financial need. To request an aid application, contact email@example.com.
Kala reserves the right to cancel any class due to low enrollment or other circumstances. In this case, you will be notified and can either receive a full credit, transfer classes, space permitting, or receive a refund with a $25 administrative fee.
Classes are not prorated, nor session dates individualized for any reason. A $50 administrative fee, per child, will be charged for camp cancellations requested by families.
If you cancel your registration 30 days before the first day of class, the remainder of your class fee will be refunded, or you can apply your full class tuition as a credit towards another Kala class. With fewer than 14 days notice, you will only receive credit if we are able to fill your spot with another student. All credits must be used by September 2021.
Contact: Kala Youth Arts Education Program
Tel: 510.841.7000 x203 or 510.306.1541 (preferred number while working remotely) • E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Videos from Camp Kala